Friday, June 24, 2011

Getting A Passport For Your Destination Wedding

Passports are issued to U.S. citizens by the US Department of State and are required to enter and leave countries outside of the United States. This now includes Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. You will also be required to present your passport to re-enter the U.S. after your wedding or honeymoon. The passport requirement does NOT apply to  citizens traveling or returning from a U.S. territory. 

New Application for a U.S. Passport
To obtain a passport for the first time, you need to go in person to an issuing office. To find the closest location and download the application form, go to

Required Documentation
Two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship, valid form of photo identification such as a drivers license

In the past it has taken an average of 10-12 weeks to process a new passport application and with the new passport requirements, the processing time as increased. Our recommendation is to apply early to avoid having to pay additional fees for an expedited service.

Renewal of U.S. PassportMost passports can be renewed by mail, but there are exceptions including: a damaged or altered passport, a passport that was issued more than 15 year prior, a passport that was issued to you when you were under16 and a passport that was issued under a different name.

No comments:

Post a Comment